One: How To Prevent Falls For Elderly Who Workout
How can you prevent falls for elderly loved ones? There is potential for some people to fall at home as they get older. This may result in injuries and disabilities that a senior did not expect to have to deal with.
If you are a senior, or live with seniors, there are a few ways you can alter or modify your surroundings at home to prevent falls.
- Place handrails wherever you need them.
- Start an exercise program that will help maintain your balance skills at their sharpest
- If you have stairs, keep them free of clutter
- Ensure that all your railings are firmly fixed in place
- Be aware of possible “slippery when wet” places like tiled floors in the bathroom and kitchen
This article promotes the BodyBoss, a portable gym you can unfold and use at home or while traveling. You can exercise by the pool, on your deck, in a park, on the beach or anywhere in your home.
See how you can workout in the house, easily store your BodyBoss kit, and save thousands of dollars on individual pieces of gym equipment or gym memberships.
Two: Get Better Sleep
It’s been believed throughout most of my lifetime ( a few decades) that seniors need less sleep.
This has proven to be untrue, with all the studies that have been done on sleep, for all age groups.
Older people need eight to nine hours of quality sleep every night. One study showed that less than seven hours of sleep leaves a person cognitively impaired.
Medications, poor nutrition, and bad habits can prevent good sleep. There are natural (drug free) ways to prepare yourself for a good night’s sleep, like these:
- CBD Oil works for many, a dropper full at bedtime (depending on the strength you buy)
- Herbal teas such as chamomille can help
- Reducing caffeine over the day, especially later than noon
- Reducing sugar intake, it is inflammatory and irritating
- Get enough of the right kind of exercise even if you can’t get out to a gym
- Eat locally produced fresh foods as much as you can
Three: Are Falls A Normal Part Of Aging?
Not at all! Falling involves:
- Unsafe homes (stairs, handrails missing, slippery area rugs, slippery tiles, clutter)
- Loss of hip muscle strength – to balance you while you move and work
- Loss of leg muscle strength
- Loss of arm muscle strength (to grab something to prevent a fall)
- Loss of foot muscle and ankle muscle strength – to regain balance quickly
- Loss of reflexive responses
Four: Keep Your Brain Health!
If you’re not retired this may not be so much of a factor, unless your job is boring and there are no challenges.
Our brain needs challenges, especially if you no longer have to work. Keep up activities that you love, especially social affairs, sports, and regular exercise.
Choose harder crossword puzzles, if you do those.
Learn a new language.
Teach an extension course in the field of your expertise.
The vendor, BodyBoss states the following –
“Exercises you are able to perform:
- Leg extensions
- Good Mornings
- Bicep Curls
- Tricep Extensions
- Tricep Pulldowns
- Shoulder Press
- Lateral Raises
- Straight Arm Raises
- Upright Rows
- Bent Over Rows
- Ab Twists
- Ab Crunches
- Mountain Climbers
- Toe Touches
- Chest Press
- Chest Flys
- Resistance Push Ups
- Arnold Press
- Bucket Tosses”
Yet that’s not the end of it!
Five: How To Strengthen Hip Muscles – And Why
Of the exercises listed above by BodyBoss, the following will strengthen hip muscles, and help prevent falls.
Have you ever been awed by the strength and balance of ballet dancers? Or figure skaters, modern dancers and gymnasts?
Ballet dancers don’t do squats, they do plies (plee-ays) which are deep knee bends keeping the spine upright.
The use of the hip and low back/core muscles is the same.
The ballet class will start with sixteen to thirty-two plies, done in super slow motion.
I mention this because these artists are admired for making their technical work look so easy.
When you start doing the squats with your BodyBoss kit, be inspired by them, as your muscles burn a little.
You may become more aware, as you get stronger with only two full body workouts a week, how you are more in control of your general movements.
You only need a small percentage of the muscle strength that performers and athletes need, to have a powerful set of muscles to live your life with.
Lunges are another big challenge that strengthen your hips/thighs/core muscles. These movements further contribute to your control and efficiency of movement.
Referring again to performing artists or athletes you may have admired, their leg extensions are unbelievable, right?
You never have to look like them, yet you can benefit greatly from those leg raises.
You not only gain strength in the leg you lift, but in the supporting hip and leg of the one you stand on.
You will become a pillar of strength! There is much to look forward to using the BodyBoss portable gym.
Schedule two full body workouts a week, and choose the best times for you to exercise.
Choose where you want to exercise. And choose the exercises you want to do! (You will get a manual of exercises in the kit).
A couple or family can share their BodyBoss.
Aside from preventing falls, think of the other common painful situations you can prevent by keeping your muscles strong:
- Low back spasms (from weakness)
- Neck and upper arm pain after shopping, ironing, vacuuming, cleaning
- Shoulder pain from yard work, moving furniture, other housework
- Leg pain and spasm after playing sports, hiking, bicycling (from weakness)
- Loss of sleep from stress (exercise relieves stress!)
Get the benefits of exercise!
Enjoy the benefits of:
- increased heart health
- build lung capacity
- improved circulation
- increased muscle mass
- boost your metabolism naturally