What Is Ultraviolet Light
Wikipedia answers – what is ultraviolet light:
“Short-wave ultraviolet light damages DNA and sterilizes surfaces with which it comes into contact.”
…”ultraviolet light is also responsible for the formation of bone-strengthening vitamin D in most land vertebrates, including humans.”
The laundry on the clothesline above is getting sanitized while drying in the sun!
Do UV Disinfecting Wands Really Work?
“A 2014 study in the American Journal of Infection Control found that a portable wand killed 100 percent of several types of bacteria commonly found on surfaces after just five seconds, and inactivated 90 percent of especially hardy spore-forming bacteria after 40 seconds. According to the researchers, a UVC device is a reasonable alternative to using chemicals to disinfect surfaces.” – Berkeley Wellness
Bear in mind that UV will not clean a dirty or greasy surface. Clean items can be close to 100% sterilized, but it may be not accurate to consider anything 100% because of the variability of conditions on objects and surfaces.
Sanitization may take one minute, or up to 30 minutes. Read your device’s instructions carefully.
In fact, the longer you take with the beaming of the UV light, the better the chances that you will get close to 100% cleansing.
UV as a means of sterilization was discovered in 1879. Today hospitals and smaller clinical facilities use it.
Now (at the time of this writing) the globe is threatened by the Covid 19 epidemic. Large areas are closed down. Sports, arts, and music concerts are closed down.
Marathons, movies, all community events with more than fifty/a hundred/250 people are cancelled.
People want to prevent the spread of infection any way they can.
In “normal” times, spas and hair salons use UV devices for cleaning towels and tools.
These are heavier containers that you can’t carry around with you.
Wouldn’t it be handy to carry a small box or carry case in your car that can sanitize your money, keys, credit cards, phone, jewelry, gloves – anything you take with you every day?
Wouldn’t it be great to clean all your small objects before you place them down on surfaces in your home every day?
For example, it may be appropriate for you to wear a face mask in certain situations. Well, they get contaminated after a time. Instead of throwing your mask away you can actually sanitize it.
Think about your office, your work situation.
I bet you’d like to sanitize the objects other people pick up and use from your desk. Pens, a tablet, papers to view, your mouse even.
Maybe you’re in an industry where people use ear phones, company phones, key cards, keys, connecting cables or lock boxes.
Oh and there is more!
Think about the break room and the washroom where you work! Coffee machines, tables, utensils, the fridge door, and shelves where you put your lunch bag/tub/bottle.
The washroom faucet handles, door handles, and toilet seats. You’d love to use a light wand clean all those, wouldn’t you?
You can have peace of mind with opportunities to cleanse all these small items which you know you’re going to use.
A wand device can clean keyboards, desk surfaces, door push bars, elevator buttons, chairs, tablets, and other signing devices.
Do UV Lights Kill Mold?
Another extremely significant use of UV light is in mold remediation.
Getting rid of mold is tricky, because scrubbing, spraying, and washing causes mold spores to be emitted into the surrounding air.
Now you’re spreading it!
With a light device, it is stationary, simply beaming the sanitizing rays with no disturbance to the environment.
Do UV Lights Give You Cancer?
Excessive UV exposure through sunlight can be harmful to the skin and sometimes will cause skin cancer. None of the devices appearing on this page are meant to be aimed at your skin. They are sanitizing machines.
Best Online Deals For Today is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking (AL= Ad Link) to Amazon.com. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Wabi Baby Touch Panel Dual Function UV Sterilizer & Dryer
This device will automatically dry and sterilize your:
- electronic devices
- all items of a similar size
in as little as 30 minutes with a single touch.
The material is BPA free plastic.
The gentle heat and cleansing UV rays will safely dry and sterilize all of your items
It’s best to wipe down your device after use, to maintain its optimal performance.
Its optional storage setting activates UV sterilization for one minute, every two hours, ensuring all feeding gear remains completely sanitized throughout the day
Dual UV bulbs safely and efficiently eliminate 99.9% of E. Coli, Salmonella, Staph, and other harmful bacteria
The materials are: Polypropylene plastic, 304 Stainless steel.
Lumin CPAP Mask Cleaner and Citrus-CPAP Mask Wipes
Only 3B Medical offers a 2 year warranty. Other vendors are not authorized to sell on Amazon and purchases from anyone on Amazon but 3B Medical voids the warranty
No Ozone ! Ozone has been shown to irritate the lungs and the respiratory system in some people.
Unlike ozone cleaners, that require a lengthy time for dissipation, Lumin cleans in just 5 minutes with no toxic gas. Your device can be used immediately, with no residue to wipe off or waiting period required.
- UVC Light – Lumin relies on a high powered UVC light that helps you maintain sleep hygiene.
- The Lumin requires virtually no maintenance with no filters to replace and a long lasting UVC light bulb that’s rated to easily outlast the life of your device. We recommend using Lumin twice weekly on your hose. Works In 5-Minutes – Featuring a one-touch operation and automatic shut-off, YOUR Lumin chimes and lights up to let you know when the cleaning cycle is complete.
- Designed for CPAP, Useful for Anything! – The 3B Lumin can clean any item that fits in the drawer. Quickly clean your CPAP mask, hose and water chamber in minutes. Also use to clean your toothbrush, electronics, hearing aids, cell phones, or even children’s toys.
Bottle Sterilizer and Dryer | UV Baby Bottle Sanitizer | Hospital Strength Sterilizer Using UV Light | Sterilizes Anything in Minutes with No Cleaning Required | Touch Screen Control | FCC Approved
This device is presented as a hospital strength sterilizer which will help you keep your baby healthy with a hospital quality UV Sterilizer in your own home.
No cleaning or descaling is required, in contrast to traditional steam sterilizers which require daily cleaning to prevent limescale and rust forming.
This machine uses Ultraviolet light to kill 99.9% of harmful viruses and germs and requires no such maintenance.
Baby bottles, teething chews, soft toys, or toothbrushes are fully sterilized in just 11 minutes. This is followed by a convenient drying time.
This machine requires no water and uses less power than steam sterilizers, lowering your carbon footprint.
This UV Sterilizer is ETL & FCC APPROVED and doesn’t contains any BPA, PHTHALATE AND it is LEAD FREE.
If you don’t love your new product, we don’t deserve your business and that’s why we offer a 100% MONEY BACK GUARANTEE. … Your purchase today is therefore completely risk free!
NRG Hot Towel Warmer Cabinet with UV Sterilizer – Facial Towel Heater Cabinet – Easy Access Front-Loading Door with Built-in UV Sanitizer – Holds up to 24 Facial Spa Towels – Quick Heating
This warmer and sterilizer cabinet holds up to 24 facial towels.
- SANITIZE YOUR TOWELS – Hot Towel Cabinet features a built-in sanitizer – a welcome time saver
- Only 15-30 minutes is needed to heat up room temperature towels to 170 F for sanitizing
Verilux CleanWave Portable Sanitizing Travel Wand – UV-C Technology – Kills Germs and Bacteria
Advanced UV-C technology makes it possible for this sanitizing travel wand to eliminate more than 99% of bacteria and viruses and other pathogens within seconds.
For your safety and protection, and as a benefit to the environment, this disinfectant does not contain any chemicals.
The sanitizing wand has an automatic safety-shut off feature. The wand can only be used when faced down on a surface and not at an angle.
The CleanWave is ideal for:
- Remote controls
- Computer keyboards
- Mobile phones
- Steering wheels
- Shopping cart handles
- ATM machines
- Airplane and train headrests
- Music players and more
This device has been laboratory-proven to eliminate up to 99% of MRSA and H1N1 in just a second.
GermZAPPER Travel Bag Bottle Sterilizer, Sanitizer, Warmer, Toothbrush, UV, Cpap Cleaner, Sterilizer for Salon, Sterilizer for Baby Bottles, Pacifiers
Viruses survive for longer on non-porous (water resistant) surfaces, such as stainless steel and plastics, and that’s why it is beneficial to sanitize your small devices. So many of these are made from plastics and metals. These surfaces can be cleaned easily with the UV light.
- PORTABLE AND EASY TO OPERATE – Ultraviolet Light Sanitizer One-touch button setting with soft-touch digital light control panel, each setting can be controlled independently and is pre-programmed to automatically stop in 5 minutes.
- UV Bottle Sterilizer And Dryer, Baby Sterilizer, UV Toothbrush Sterilizer Sanitizer, cpap cleaners , travel cpap machine
- GERM ZAPPER STERILIZER 99.9% SANITIZER – Provides a broad spectrum coverage and disinfection power to help sterilize tools and accessories can help reduce the spread of germs, bacteria and contamination
- ULTRASONIC UV VIOLET LIGHT – Needs only 3 minutes, follow the enclosed instructions disinfects toothbrushes , all your cosmetic gadgets , Cpap items, Shoes , Towels, Makeup pencils , Toothbrushes , lotion, dirt, makeup, oils, and other dirty substances without deep scrubbing or using harsh chemicals, restoring your valuables back to their original shine and helps reduce maintenance in the future.
- UV Toothbrush Sanitizer, bottle warmer and sterilizer, uv sanitizer, bottle warmer on the go, toothbrush sterilizer, esterilizador de manicure, Use for makeup brush cleaner machine, Bottle sterilizer and dryer, Baby Bottle Cleaner, Great for Barber Saloon, UV Sterilizer Salon For Hair Dressers
Rosa Rugosa CPAP Cleaner and Sanitizer, UV/Ozone Dual Mode Cleaning Device,Suits for CPAP Mask and Tubing with 2 Adapters
- Q5 uses UV light to quickly and safely kill 99% of harmful dirtiness in just a few minutes.
- ✿EASY, & QUICK DAILY CLEANING – With the touch of a button, Q5 begins a 5-minutes UV disinfection cycle that thoroughly disinfects CPAP Accessories (Except Full-size Mask and Water Chamber). The UV light will sanitize the surface of the mask. Ozone mode is suitable for disinfecting CPAP machines and pipes because Ozone will sanitize the inside of CPAP machine, hose, nasal pillows.
- ✿SAVE MONEY and EASY MAINTENANCE – Unlike other CPAP Sanitizers, Q5 requires no filter to replace. If the exterior or interior of the unit gets dirty it can be wiped down with a soft cloth.
- ✿COMPATIBLE WITH Most CPAP Machine – Q5 is compatible with most brands of CPAP Machine. Includes necessary Heated Hose and AirMini adapters to use with a most common type of CPAP machines.
- ✿Multifunction USE – The Q5 is a great cleaning device so don’t limit it to CPAP Masks and accessories. Q5 can safely and quickly disinfect a variety of other household and medical products — including dentures, hearing aids, toothbrushes, cellphones.
ZLHW UV sterilizer, 2-in-1 Ultraviolet Light & Ozone Disinfection Box, Manicure Sterilization Sanitizing for Cellphone, Cosmetic Cleaning Tool, Nail Beauty Salon Equipment
- Professional UV Sterilizer LED Disinfection Device Sterilization Box works for tools such as your comb, toothbrush, towel, garment, mobile phone, kitchen supplies, beauty and hair equipment
- ADVANCED TECHNOLOGY – Our UV Sterilizer Box Cabinet with Ozone can eliminate 99.9% of bacteria. UV Sterilizer LED Disinfection Device provides 360° protection.
- EASY TO USE – This Professional UV Sterilizer Box With Ozone has One button switch control. Built-in UV Sterilizer to Keep Towels Germ-free. let you travel,go out at any time and anywhere convenient use.
- HIGH QUALITY MATERIALS – Our UV Lamp Disinfection Cabinet Sterilizer Sterilization Machine Made of engineering materials, Mirror stainless steel liner, which is temperature resistant and anti-aging.
- CE, RoHS CERTIFICATION – Strict quality inspection. Fuse Protected; If there are any questions please do not hesitate to contact with us, our experienced customer service team will respond within 24 hours.
HoMedics UV-Clean Portable Sanitizer, Black
- PORTABLE PROTECTION: A perfect holiday gift for the germaphobe of the family! Keep your most frequently used items clean and sanitized while at home or on the go with powerful UV-C LED technology. Carry around in your purse, backpack, suitcase, gym bag, diaper bag and more to kill up to 99.9% of bacteria and viruses 10 x faster than any other sanitizer
- FULL COVERAGE: Interchangeable phone and platform clips keep items secured in place to ensure optimal UV exposure and maximum coverage. With 4 UV-C Germicidal LED’s at 18 cycles per charge, completely surround your belongings for optimal sanitizing
- SAFE SANITIZING: Free of mercury and chemicals with an advanced safety lock to prevent UV exposure. Sanitize and disinfect both sides of your item in just 1 minute with rechargeable LED’s that last for thousands of uses
- MULTI-USE FUNCTIONALITY: Designed to fit a variety of items such as keys, jewelry, eyeglasses, remotes, makeup brushes and more. A vacation and travel essential or great for use at home or the office
- WHAT’S IN THE BOX: (1) HoMedics UV-Clean Portable Sanitizer Bag, (2) Attachments
CrazyCap UV Water Purifier Cap and Insulated Self Cleaning Water Bottle – Turns Any Water Source Into Clean Drinkable Water
- POWERED BY DEEP UV-C – Effectively eliminates 99.9996% of mold, bacteria and viruses from water, with nothing but UV light exposure.
- Cap doubles as a sanitizer travel wand – simply wave over any surface to sterilize.
- UV-C IS STERILIZATION OF THE FUTURE- CrazyCap’s powerful, in cap, UV-C light rays are the same wavelength as the UV used to sanity operating rooms and water treatment plants.
- REPLACES 500,000 WATER BOTTLES – Reduces plastic waste and needless spend of bottled water. Premium bottle made of vacuum insulated stainless steel keeps water cold for 24 hrs / hot for 12.
- SELF CLEANING BOTTLE – Stops bacteria and mold from breeding in your water bottle. Auto activates every four hours to keep your water pristine and the bottle mold free.
- DRINKABLE WATER AT YOUR FINGERTIP – High – tech, chemical free purification. Best alternative to boiled water and water tablets. Backed by a 100% satisfaction guarantee – because we know you’ll love it as much as we do.
The following is a syndicated article to give you more general information on UV light.
Ultraviolet Light and Its Biological Effects by Lucien H Lester
Have you ever heard that ultraviolet (UV) light can be a biocide for living things? You can find the answer within the following info.
Starting with the history, the study on UV rays and its biological effects began around 1888 when Neils Ryborg Finsen decided to analyze this matter. He proposed that UV rays could kill bacteria. This discovery motivated other inventors to perform further analysis on this subject, including the mechanism of UV rays on microorganisms and applications in biology, medical sterilization, also air and water treatment.
UV (ultraviolet) light is part of electromagnetic spectrum which ranges from gamma rays to radio waves. The short wavelength and high frequency gamma rays are more energetic than radio waves which have long wavelength and low frequency. Therefore radio waves do not give bad effects no matter how long you are exposed to it. On the other hand, the short waves from gamma rays will be dangerous, even deadly.
Of the electromagnetic spectrum, UV ray goes around 10-400 nanometers in which UVA exists in the 100-280nm, UVB for 280-315nm, and UVC stands 315-400nm. There is UV lamps which are designed to create biocide at 260-nanometer emission. To kill bacteria, UV light penetrates their cells to break the DNA (deoxyribonucleic acid). This acid has such chemical which bonds the atoms together. UV ray brings massive damages to the bond and knocks the electrons. To kill a large amount of bacteria, short exposure of UV light is not enough. That is why it needs moderate dose of UV light.
For sterilization applications, Ultraviolet lamps are used to sterilize aquarium water. The UV lamp applied to a small assembly in which the light irradiates the water pumped through the device. In addition, UV light is used in water filter to produce hygienic drinking water, killing any harmful microorganisms. With UV ray water filter you can get bottled water quality just by pushing the button of the faucet in your home.
Talking about UV light, you are probably interested in any discussions on spectrum and any devices dealing with this subject. Thus you can visit [http://www.ramanspectrometer.org] and read other articles of Lucien Lester on UV VIS spectrometer [http://ramanspectrometer.org/uv-vis-spectrometer/]. Within those articles you can also find reviews on such spectrometers which you can take into consideration before you purchase one.